Ƶ

140 Years of Ƶ

This year we celebrate 140 years since Ƶ was originally established as the College for Girls on 14 July, 1884 in Fitzroy Street, Milson’s Point by co-principals Elizabeth Liggins and Clara Arnold. There were just five students on the first day. Today, Ƶ has over 1,800 students enrolled from Ƶ House Preschool to Year 12.

For 140 years, Ƶ has provided an exceptional education to generations of young Australians. This significant milestone provides a wonderful opportunity for our Ƶ community to reflect on the School’s illustrious history.

Established in 1884

MILESTONE MOMENTS

1884: The College for Girls opens in Milson’s Point with five students

1899: The School moves to Ƶ, a large house on Military Road and officially changes its name to College for Girls, Ƶ

1911:Miss GA (Amy) Roseby and her sisters buy the School, which is now named Ƶ

1923: The Liggins Building officially opens to accommodate the Junior School and boarders and ensures the School is contained in one site

1934: The School celebrates its 50 Year Anniversary with a 50th Jubilee Fete, seen in the video above

1945: Ƶ is sold to Sydney Church of England Girls’ Grammar School

1966: Ƶ Hall opens, originally known as the Assembly Hall

1976: The School is incorporated as SCEGGS Ƶ Limited and returns to independent governance

1978: Ƶ introduces coeducation, with the first boys admitted in the Secondary,  Junior and Preparatory Schools

1984: The School celebrates its Centenary 

1990: The Cremorne Campus (now Junior Campus) opens 

1996: Ƶ High Country Campus, outside Jindabyne, opens for the first Winter School held onsite

2020: The Ƶ Learning Hub opens on the Senior Campus

Celebrating
140 Years

Throughout 2024,  we will be celebrating our 140 year history and heritage. Find out more information on these celebrations and our history here.

Events and Celebrations

Ƶ will be hosting a wide variety of community and School events throughout the school year to commemorate our 140 Years Anniversary. 

  • Community Twilight Welcome Event 
  • Ƶ 140 Years All Alumni Reunion
  • The Platinum Luncheon
  • Ƶ 140 Years Heritage Week
  • Festival of Ƶ: Shining a Light on 140 Years

An Illustrious History

Ƶ has an illustrious history, dating back to the School’s opening in 1884 as the College for Girls in Milsons Point. Since then, Ƶ has established itself as a school that develops well-rounded, confident and compassionate young adults who are ready to make a successful transition to life after school and a contribution to their local, national and global communities.

Read more of our distinguished history by viewing the historical timeline of Ƶ.

Our Stories

The careers and lives of Ƶ 10,000+ Alumni are diverse, intriguing and successful. Many of our Redlanders have achieved remarkable accomplishments through their chosen professions, with our Alumni community spanning across the globe in a vast array of  fields of expertise. Read more about the exceptional accomplishments of our Alumni.